Monday, February 6, 2012

Prosecution mob causes riot in court

Prior to arraignment, brother of victim had pointed gun at my client's mom and brother on two separate occasions. Of course, the police did nothing, even though victim's brother on felony probation. So, I show up for arraignment and the prosecution has gathered an impressive mob. The "victim advocate" has a group of about 50 in the courtroom, and my client's well-dressed, professional family and friends are woefully outnumbered. I let the sheriff's deputy know that we need more security, and she notes my client's name by writing it on her hand. Judge Torrence comes out, admonishes the crowd to be civil, calls our case first, and everything is fine. There's a big crowd outside, and another deputy offers to walk me out the back way. As we are about to the door, we hear the eruption in the hall and both go outside. It's a riot. My client's family and friends are getting a beat down, blood and hair flying, and there is no end in sight. The sheriff calls for backup, I move to break up one group and a female comes in with fists flying. I run into the courtroom and yell for more sheriffs. When I come out, the prosecution mob has my client's step dad down on the ground. He's not moving and they're stomping on his head. Still only one sheriff, and he's not doing anything. Back to the courtroom yelling for an ambulance. Attorney Dave Suroff comes out and starts yelling for people to stop, with a volume that was the "voice of god" and it had some effect. This had been going on for about 10 minutes, and a plain clothed detective sheriff came up from the 1st floor, and started telling people to calm down. I think the prosecution mob was just getting tired and running out of people to beat up. About that time, the elevator doors open and about a dozen KCPD officers come out, responding to an call for "officer assist." Only the shouting remained. And the blood. And teeth. And hair. And shoes. And other debris. My client's step-dad wasn't moving and was bleeding from his ears. He got up, in his work uniform, and was covered with blood. Uncle had a nasty gash on his cheek with blood everywhere. Even my client's mom--a classy professional--had a cut on her face. Downstairs, I'm told four got arrested, including the instigator. As he was being arrested, he pointed at my client's brother and said he was going to kill him. Lots of talk about getting their guns, etc. Ambulance comes, lots of cops, four arrests, four to hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment